Thursday 14 March 2013

A Space Oddity

I finally managed to watch a film last night that was worth writing about, the last few things I have watched have fallen short (so short I can't remember most of them but then my short (boom, boom) term memory is notoriously atrocious). That said, sometimes you have to stop pretending you are intelligent and just watch some trash and be entertained.

I, for one, am completely addicted to Kung Fu Panda (1 and 2).

The film I watched yesterday, however, is a cult classic. It is 45 years old and it didn't show which is something in itself. I was also surprised by how many other films I could think of that had taken inspiration from this original. Any idea what it was? Are you ready? It was Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was clever and interesting enough, with the right balance of 'what is going on' and the odd hint or two. The main computer had a big enough role and a seriously creepy voice, throw in some classical music, some spinning spaceships and some coloured lights and a story that just about makes sense and you have yourself a winner. I can see how, in 1968, it must have been amazing and controversial, it still holds some of that now but at a slower pace - a lot of the cinematography is still beautiful. I can't believe how much it felt like I had seen it before - tantamount to how much of it has been reused, reworked and inspired.

Definitely a must see if you are a film buff otherwise I think you could take it or leave it. I still want to say take it though, it is a classic for a reason!




No comments:

Post a Comment