Monday 30 September 2013

A Cautionary Tale

The weekend just gone, was an art weekend. I finished the second coat on the hallway design so that is now done, painted a new picture and put primer on the table and chairs ready to receive the design I still haven't come up with. 

Now, primer.

Someone really should have spoken to me about primer before I used it, and before I realised you needed white spirit to remove it, and before I realised I didn't have any.

There is nothing like that moment when you are mindlessly washing your paint soaked brush under the tap, spreading out the bristles with your fingers to wash it off quicker.....getting paint over your hands and halfway up to your elbows. Oh, chortle, the mess I make. Starting to rinse off your hands, your arms, wondering why the paint is so oily, so sticky and rubbing it off doesn't seem to be working. Looking down at your white, slimy hands thinking 'Oh my God' why won't this come off, I need to, I need to, oh hell I can't touch anything. SOMEBODY HELP ME! 

You then proceed to..... 
  • desperately turn the tap off using the power of your just mind, 
  • do the elbow clap tearing of kitchen towel so you can vaguely wipe the goo away. 
  • Look in the cupboard for white spirit - no. 
  • Think about going to look in the garage for white spirit - it is late, the garage is creepy, there are spiders, - no.
  • Look at your hands again hoping somehow the problem has solved itself - damn.
  • Spend the next 40 minutes with make up pads and nail varnish remover slowly working away at de-sticky-fying your hands until they resemble cold grey pieces of a clammy nightmare. I believe Voldemort had hands like these. 
So next time, primer, I come armed with knowledge, a barrel of white spirit, and a boiler suit. 

Touché.    

2 comments:

  1. Miss H, did I ever tell you that it's always a wise person who keeps white spirit to hand when using primers? :D

    ReplyDelete