Monday 21 July 2014

Summer Exhibition

I did another new painting at the weekend that I need to write a 'birth certificate' for, I think I shall save that for tomorrow though. Firstly, I have an exhibition to write about; On this past Saturday I went to the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy as a friend was lucky enough to win some tickets and I was lucky enough to be invited.

I was quite intrigued to see the work as I had already decided that I was going to try and enter the competition next year to have my work on display. That is the perk of the Summer Exhibition, anyone can enter, unknown and famous artists alike. I was rubbing my hands in glee before we entered, looking forward to seeing some unusual and inspiring work, after all, this is selected from thousands of entries, entries of work never seen before.

I have one word - ouch.

It was not what I expected. There were a few stand out pieces but overall it was massively disappointing. Not only was the subject matter tired, but the quality was tired. What was the criteria of choice based on? I'll be damned if I could tell. Part of the problem may have been that there was so much work on display that it all got lost together and diluted. Part of the problem may have been the prices - there is nothing like seeing a painting, thinking 'that seems mediocre' looking it up in your reference guide and seeing you can own the original for a mere £200,000.

WHAT!?

I think the main problem might just have been that the work wasn't very good, or too much of it wasn't very good.

At least if I enter next year and I don't get in, I don't think I will mind too much!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment