Monday 1 December 2014

Patina

I am getting a bit behind (quite frankly with everything) at the moment. I need more hours in the day, or I need to be able to survive on less hours of sleep. I fear neither of these things are likely to happen so I will just make the best of it.

I am busy at the moment, architecturally busy, artwork busy, socially busy. It is making for an exciting life but also making it increasingly difficult to balance everything. I am keeping all the important things going but I can tell I am letting my blog slip slightly as each time I think I will sit and write something, something else gets in the way. Not today though, today I am devoting myself to catching up with some Birth Certificates.

First up is Patina:


The Reason:

The problem with leaving 'Birth Certificates' for a while is that I have no idea where this came from. I think I just wanted to paint something 'neat' and not in my usual expressive style.

The Setting:

A feeling, wanting to do a landscape, remembering Big Sur, being in the mood for masking tape, wanting to make it up as I go along.

The Inspiration:

When I make something up I tend to go for trademark themes, in this case the ocean, sunsets, my usual pattern choices and colours. The idea to add the white silhouetted plants came during the painting, resourced online after looking at various plant shapes. Making something spontaneous is very different from deciding what you are doing in advance. It almost feels like a different piece of you is working, a piece that deals with a different type of creativity.

When I want to purge, I make something up, if I am inspired then I already have an idea planned, if I want to relax I just copy something. Patina was, or is, a little bit of all three.



No comments:

Post a Comment